Thursday, February 24, 2011

Fears, and the Fearing Fearers Who Fear Them

I have a confession to make.

I am deathly afraid of miscarrying. This baby, little baby Squirtle as my sister has decided, is very important to me already. I've only known about Squirtle a couple of weeks, and already I'm worried about losing him. Miscarriage is one of the silent shames that women all over the world deal with. My co-worker experienced 2 in six months. My friend Audrey recently miscarried.

Life is so fragile. Life is so fleeting.

When Justin puts his hand on my stomach and smiles up at me in that infectious way, my heart jumps into my throat. This baby is proof of our love, as cheesy as it sounds.  What does it mean, when a living symbol of a relationship dies? I know that some relationships can't handle the loss of a baby, or even a miscarriage. Can ours weather that storm?
It's a question I never hope to have an answer to.

The loss of a child is a serious thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment